According to much of the media today, there are 100 days to go until the Presidential Election. From a personal perspective, I can't wait. I am so ridiculously invested in the outcome of this election, every day brings some new horror or wonder. It takes a good bit of equanimity (something in which I am in short supply) to just let the latest gaffe, poll, or surrogate stupidity drag me down or if from the other side, elevate me. I just wish it were over.
As of today, I think Romney is in good shape. All the trends are working well for him, and though they've had a few bumps here and there, they are staying on message with the economy. The longer Mr. Obama stays in office, the less fit for it he appears, and he is increasingly becoming shrill, as are his supporters.
Romney needs to do just a few more things in the coming weeks:
1. Continue to be upbeat about America's prospects and its place in the world
2. Continue to hammer the President on the economy
3. Begin to make the case that the economy we have is THE RESULT of the ideology of the President. We got what we voted for.
4. Begin to reinforce the specifics he has already released about his economic plan--pick four or five and hammer on them (to refute the charge of a lack of specifics).
5. Finally--and this is for all of us....don't get cocky.