Thursday, January 10, 2013

Eating the Seed Corn

CW's favorite pundit David Brooks has a good column speculating on why El Presidente chose the Republican Chuck Hagel for Defense. According to the Gieves & Hawkes wearing Mr. Brooks, Obama plans to gradually gut defense so as to pay for his social spending, and having a Republican as Secretary provides cover.
This is completely plausible and expected. That is the very nature of welfare states. When you get a society that depends on government handouts, people become like zoo animals unable to fend for themselves. Many of us now are no more than caged beasts being looked after until it's in the zoo-keeper's interest to put us down. As Ronald Reagan said, we are only one generation away from losing our freedom and it's clear to me that our 18-30 year olds are that generation.
Welfare states inevitably implode because people want more and more while doing less and less. And as we all know it's all about productivity. If wealth isn't being produced then existing wealth must be confiscated to continue the never ending process of feeding the monkey. First borrowing, then cutbacks in legitimate government functions (but never the bureaucracy), then tax increases and new tax schemes, slowly at first then gradually expanding and evolving until Bill Gates will be chopping wood to heat that 30,000 sq. ft. mansion of his (see British aristocracy in the 60's and 70's). Eventually and inevitably the system will have a heart attack and nobody will get a check. When the seed corn is eaten there is no corn left and no way to get any. When that happens we won't be like animals, we will be animals.

6 comments:

Mudge said...

Perfectly stated. Sadly prescient.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

One of the best things you've written, Hammer. Perfect.

"The Hammer" said...

One of the best things I've written? Are you taking the piss? (It's an Irish saying, look it up). Hey pal, I'm as sophisticated a redneck as you're likely to find and I've been carrying this blog on my back for 2-3 years now (with no compensation I might add) and THIS you say is the best I've ever written? Bullllllllshit! I've written stuff here with a poetic flair Tennyson would be proud of. I've offered insights and opinions on a par with de Touqueville and John Stewart Mill. I've attacked our enemies with indisputable logic and a rapier wit while still extending the hand of friendship with humility and humanity. And this, a minor little post is the BEST I've ever done?
That it! I'm kicking shit outta you.

Mudge said...

Hammer - don't take it personally. It's the first time you've mentioned David Brooks without excoriating him. Of course the President of the David Brooks Fan Club would find this your finest post.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Hammer--I generally say what I mean and mean what I say, sorta the "Joe Biden" of bloggers. When I said "one of the", I left room that there were others.

Now take your meds like a good boy.

"The Hammer" said...

Yeah that's it. It's the David Brooks thing. CW unquestionably has a man-crush on Mr. Brooks.

Newer Post Older Post Home