Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 3: Romney HQ, Des Moines, IA

I've settled into a routine here in Des Moines, and the week is nearly over.  Yesterday (Wednesday) was a good day, as I got to interact with voters a bit.

The day started early, and I banged out 4 hours of work work before heading over to HQ.  My "volunteer' day essentially is a 1030 to 5 or 5:30 gig, though its clear I can come and go as I please.  They are genuinely grateful to have any help that they can get.  Spent the first half of my day finishing off the database I'd been working on, which consisted of looking at the entries that were email addresses only and seeing if I would "walk the dog backwards" to fill out the rest of the info on them.  Some were surprisingly easy (for example, "bryan.mcgrath" in an email would be a big clue) but others were more difficult.

The last half of the day was spent calling 2008 precinct leaders and asking them to do the same job in 2012.  To recall, a precinct leader's job is to 1) do a 1 minute or so speech to the other assembled caucus-goers on behalf of the candidate and 2) build support for your man.  Most were not home, and I left a message on their voice mail.  Maybe a quarter answered the phone, and half of those re-upped for 2012. Those who didn't were--to be honest--simply too old, they felt like they couldn't be counted on to carry out the job.  My three days with Iowa voting roles leads me to believe the Republican Party here is 1) older and 2) more male than the average, even for an old and male party.  Every time I come across a 25 year old Republican female voter in listings, I want to dance a little jig....

Had a delightful conversation with a woman whose son was the target of the call, but who wasn't at home.  She was clearly an aged woman, but a pistol.  Full of opinions, mostly about Barack Obama (not good) and Michelle Bachman (not good either).  I kept it on the up and up, not wanting to be cited in a Des Moines Register article about campaign trash talk, and explained that we simply feel Mitt is the man for the time, etc...

One or two just said "no" and hung up.  Those were surprising, as these people had 1) served as precinct leaders before and 2) had already been called once simply to gauge their support for Romney.  I suggested it could be my Maryland cellphone number was off-putting (we aren't using a phone bank, just three guys sitting in a room on their cell phones) but the field director said to drive on.

For my gustatory pleasures, having skipped breakfast, I hit the Colonel for some grilled chicken at lunch time.  I'm not sure grilled chicken is much of a hit at KFC, as it seems about 50/50 that when I order it, there are only one or two old-maid pieces left.  At meal times.  So I bought two orig recipe thighs and wolfed them down.  After work (and 45 minutes of penance on the stationary bike) I headed down the street to the 801 Chophouse for a delightful 12 ounce filet mignon and Brussel sprouts.  Back to the room then, to plow through more of The Count of Monte Cristo.  A great book--but man, is it long....

I've convinced my two compatriots that we should alight to Hooters at lunch today, for the wings of course.  The intern (Chris) suggested a great cigar place close by also.  More tomorrow.

2 comments:

"The Hammer" said...

Out of town on your own and no strip clubs, no hookers, no drugs or booze. I'm proud of you man, in a nerdy sorta way. But I'm still trying to reconcile Alexandre Dumas with the two piece Kentucky fried.

Mudge said...

Looking forward to "Day 4, Hooters, Des Moines, IA"

Newer Post Older Post Home