Friday, October 10, 2008

Déjà Vu 2008

I’ve been here before. I have had this feeling. Uncertainty about the future…panic…second guessing…checking news updates every 10 minutes…envisioning how the world might be the day after tomorrow, and not necessarily for the better.

Oh right, now I remember. It was September 12, 2001. I also recall the weeks and months following the attack, and the Left’s insistence that Bush & Cheney were “shredding the Constitution”, using the excuse of a national emergency to trample civil rights and transform the US into a totalitarian police state overnight. I shrugged it off; what did it matter to me? How did the Patriot Act and the “War on Terror” really affect me? If anything, I felt a little safer. I play by the rules. I’m a law abiding citizen. Let them monitor my phone calls and email – I’ve got nothing to hide. If it prevents further attacks on our soil, so be it. And besides, I trust this guy.

Fast forward to 2008. The federal government isthisclose to nationalizing the financial system in a moment of national panic. It’s funny, the Right has been sounding the alarms that the death of capitalism will come at the hands of the likes of liberals like Obama, Pelosi and Reid – but it looks as though a conservative president may be beating them to the punch.

Those feelings have come flooding back. But this time, I can’t shrug it off – it does affect me. And you.

Some lame duck.

7 comments:

Doc Milnamo said...

We may as well call upon Hugo Chavez for help. He knows a thing or two about nationalizing businesses/industries and we may as well do it correctly huh? ;-(

Anonymous said...

Nah, just leave it to your fallen hero, McCain. Really showing his colors at these kkk rallies he and sancho panza are speaking at. A class act.

Anonymous said...

What makes me uncomfortable is Obama's promises of "change". Never have we ever heard him promise "improvement".

And nice reference to Sancho Panza 5:26 anonymous; it shows you've read something other than "Das Kapital".

KKK? Aren't they the white version of Trinity United Church of Christ?

Goldwater's Ghost said...

Anon - Your comments are always welcome. However, I fail to see what your pearl of wisdom has anything to do with my original post. Thanks for playing and keep up the insightful analysis.

Fessparker - love the wine, especially the pinot noir. Thanks for the feedback as well.

Anonymous said...

Actually Fess, I think 5:26 anonymous got the Sancho Panza from "Man of La Mancha" not "Don Quixote".

You know how they love their showtunes.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, that's right, you guys hate fags, too. Ha! Good one.

Goldwater's Ghost said...

Anon - If you're new to this site, I'll direct you to the four rules governing this blog:

1) keep it civil
2) keep it clean
3) keep it relevant
4) keep it coherent

You've broken all four. Please go back to the Daily Kos until you can conduct yourself in an adult manner.

Newer Post Older Post Home