Thursday, October 2, 2008

For Those Who Long for the Navy

Some of you occasionally wish I'd write more about the Navy. I would, and I will, when I feel like I have things of value to say. One of the things that keeps me from feeling that I have anything of value to add is the presence of the blog Information Dissemination. Take a look at a few of the entries. The blogger (Galrahn) is clearly not phoning it in. His posts are erudite and well thought through, little gems of naval strategic thinking and analysis of current geopolitical events. I highly commend it to you. I know I've done so already, but there are a few stories there tonight that are superb examples of his talent.

3 comments:

SamShapiro said...

CW, in the article he writes about Norman Polard, he has a picture of the Iowa. When a battleship fired like that, does it move in the water a few feet or does it just rock?

SamShapiro said...

Also, did you ever get to experience firepower like that during your short time on board?

The Conservative Wahoo said...

It moves several feet laterally when it fires a broadside like that. Spent a couple of days doing Naval Gunfire Support Quals on USS IOWA in the summer of 1984 as a Midshipman Third Class....an awesome time.

Newer Post Older Post Home