Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The First Chink in Christie's Armor

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is quite a favorite here on the ole blog, and just about everywhere else in Republican-land.  Talk of him as a 2012 Presidential Candidate is ubiquitous, talk that he he himself has assiduously asserted was folly and that he would not run.  This is all well and good, even if he plans to run.  Keep 'em guessing, let them build up their sense of anticipation.

But if you're going to say you're not running--you don't get to say "I already know I would win.  That's not the issue."  If you say you're not running, keep saying it.  Say it as often as you can.  But saying that you're not running--but that you'd win if you did--is the adult political version of a schoolyard taunt, the kind nobody believed in the schoolyard. 

8 comments:

Mudge said...

I don't agree (that he doesn't get to say he knows he would win). Taken in the whole context, "that isn't the issue [in my decision not to run]...I don't believe I'm ready to be President." Those are hardly the words of someone laying the ground work to become President. Can you imagine that soundbite playing incessantly through the election "I don't believe I'm ready to be President?" Two things I've come to believe about your natal state's governor: You can take him at his word and he's no dummy. I believe him when he says "I could win" and "I'm not running [in 2012]"

Tom de Plume said...

"I’ve got to believe I’m ready to be president, and I don’t. And I think that that’s the basis you have to make that decision."

I wish Barry Dunham Sotero had had such moments of self reflection.

BigFred said...

I have to assume that you have to be a crook to get elected in new jersey anyway, so he is probably not electable outside of Trenton.

"The Hammer" said...

He's just telling it like it is. But I'll say this, Obama ain't gonna be that easy to beat.
#1 he's gonna have tons of cash, b) he's a sitting Prez. more than willing to use the government in one form or another, and III. the Republicans will beat hell out of each other in the primaries so the eventual candidate will start bloodied and broke.

Anonymous said...

Take him at his word? There are many examples of where his word is no good. I love the guy but he is a bully.

Mudge said...

And Glenda from the Wizard of Oz was a witch. If he's a bully, he's my kind of bully.

Anonymous said...

An interesting report the other day about the effects of type 2 diab...

Oh, I'm sorry. It's the last day of the work week and I saw the photo of the generously sized gentleman. I thought this was the Big Fat Free-for-All Friday section.

My mistake.

Mudge said...

Anon - Now THAT's funny.

Newer Post Older Post Home