Thursday, January 19, 2017

Inaugural Balls

As political as I am, I have attended only one inaugural ball in my life. In January 1993, I was the Flag Aide to a Three Star in Washington, and one of the senior civilians in our office was a genuine, Medal-of-Honor Recipient War Hero---Tom Kelley.  Tom and I became quite close (we shared a solid Irish sense of humor), and when Clinton won the election, Tom was able to get me two tickets to the Medal of Honor Ball, which as it turns out, would be the only one Clinton and Gore attended together.

My wife and I got all gussied up (she in ball gown, me in Dinner Dress Blues) and we had a blast.

Eighteen days later, we decided to separate.

Ten months later, we were divorced.

Haven't been to an inaugural ball since.


No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home