Sunday, August 31, 2008

On Returning to the Workforce

I have not worked for pay since mid-February, when I started 45 days of terminal leave en route an April 1 retirement from the Navy. I had originally intended a ninety day break, most of which would have been spent on the job hunt. Along the way, Catherine (my Kitten) asked me if I'd consider taking the whole summer off, putting off returning to work until after the kids go back to school.

When you define yourself by your work, taking three months off is pretty easy. Taking six and a half months off though, is a different story. I really wrestled with the decision. Most of my friends said I'd never make it. Catherine said I wouldn't regret it. They were wrong, she was right.

I spent a lot of time hanging around with Catherine and the girls, getting to know them a little better. My appearance in her life didn't always count as a big "plus" to the girls, so it was important to spend some time seeing if I couldn't count as something other than the guy who takes Mom's attention away. Not sure how well I did on that task, but we're definitely all a little closer.

Tuesday, I fly to California for some in-processing and meetings for my new job. I look forward to the challenge of having a full-time job, a family, and a blog to tend to. I'm pretty sure I'll pull it off, but be kind to me in the beginning as I get my act together.

I'm looking forward to seeing if there is a connection between my time/talent and compensation. I did not find this in 21 years in the Navy, and it was one of the primary reasons I left.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much of what I've learned in the past 21 years works in the civilian world, and I'm looking forward to learning how much I don't know.

Mostly though, I'm looking forward to interacting with a lot of smart people again. If there is a fountain of youth, hanging out with people smarter than yourself has got to be it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just admitting that there is much that you do not know is an excellent step in the right direction. Over the past several decades I have worked with many retired military officers from flag ranks on down and from all services. Those who succeeded were the ones who had an inkling of what they did not yet know and made efforts to become knowledagble. Good luck in the civilian sector. Unfortunately you will find that there are just as many hurdles and a lot less esprit.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Thanks, Shipmate.

Anonymous said...

I was the most vocal on your inability to NOT work for 6 months and you have once again proved me wrong. Well Done!

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Thank you, Fred.

Newer Post Older Post Home