Tuesday, March 17, 2009

An Earmark Unmasked

I found this story to be insightful with respect to the ongoing debate about earmarks. As many of you know, I'm not a critic of earmarks...I defend them in many cases. My theory is that the "adds" process in the Federal budget is a relatively efficient way for the Congress to 1) exercise the power of the purse and 2) ensure that government revenue is spread around the country in as efficient a manner as possible. Some say that if the projects were "worthy", they'd have been funded in the budget submitted to the Congress by the Executive Department responsible...I don't have such a high level of confidence in the Teutonic efficiency of our Federal Departments, and so I don't mind the step in the process (yes, it really is just part of the process) that gives legislators the opportunity to add in projects they believe to be particularly worthy.

$767B for "stimulus"? $650B for "health care"? These are the things that get me excited about waste, over-reach and the remaking of our compact with the Federal government. $1M to help the people of Utah with a tough pest problem strikes me as a damn fine way to spend taxpayer money.

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home