Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Difference Between Anti-Trump and Being a Democrat

It is no secret that I have little regard for the President. I think he is unfit, and I would like him to be replaced as soon as our system will allow.

It is also no secret that there are a good many things about what the Trump Administration is doing that I agree with. They have generally been good on judges, and most of their political appointees have been men and women of character and capability. White House Staff is another matter altogether. The emphasis on de-regulation is excellent. The tax bill that will soon pass is a solid, Republican effort. Stating unequivocally that the US recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is excellent. Questioning the Iran deal and potentially walking away from it -- I'm ok with.

You see, just because I have no respect for Donald Trump, my views on effective policy and political ideology have not changed. When Trump does something I like, I continue to like it. When he says something I agree with, I continue to agree with him.

Trump Derangement Syndrome--which I have been accused of--is something different than the malady I suffer from. My sickness is "Trump Distaste Syndrome". I continue to be able to rationally evaluate policy, even as I rationally evaluate character. But this does not describe everyone on the Anti-Trump Train.

While there are plenty of formerly principled conservatives who have walked away from those principles in order to make peace with their new party leadership, there are other formerly principled conservatives who have walked away from those principles because they are so blinded by their hatred of the President. In doing so, they have reversed themselves on positions they previously held SIMPLY BECAUSE the President holds them. This is insane.

Jennifer Rubin of the Washington Post is a particularly interesting sufferer of Trump Derangement Syndrome, and Charles C.W. Cooke of National Review has properly called her on it. Cooke and fellow National Review writer Kevin Williamson host a wonderful podcast known as "Mad Dogs and Englismen" (Cooke is a subject of the Crown who is in the late stages of obtaining American citizenship), in which they look at the news of the week and comment on it from their consistently conservative perspectives. Both believe Trump unfit to hold the office. Both criticize him for many of his behavioral tics. And both are able to give Trump his due when he deserves it--and moreso, they have been for a while now talking about Rubin's about faces on major issues simply because of Trump having come around to her position.

This is a good conversation to be having. Loss of principles is a terrible thing, whether in service to MAGA or in opposition.

All of us ought to be calling balls and strikes. 

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home