Saturday, February 6, 2010

On the Amazon Kindle


The Kitten and I have talked about moving a coffee-maker up to the bedroom for some time, and earlier this week, she moved one of our Keurig single shot coffee makers up there. Last night, I was setting it up--getting ready to snuggle in for a long-winter's morning avoiding the great blizzard of '10. As I climbed up into bed, I bumped into the is book-like object wrapped up in a small blanket--I opened it and there it was---a brand new Kindle DX--an early Valentine's Gift from the Kitten, who thought that the morning ahead of us would be too good a Kindle-morning to have it sitting in its box awaiting Saint Valentine's Feast.

For those of you who who have been living on a South Seas Island with a friend named Wilson--the Kindle is a product that uses cellular coverage to access a panoply of books and magazines. It downloads them to the reader which is about the size and thickness of a Time magazine, and maybe weighs a pound in a half. The quality of the reading surface is extraordinary.

For the longest time, I could not figure out the utility of the Kindle--why would someone buy it? It reminded me a bit of the "iPod", and anyone who served with me in USS BULKELEY can probably affirm my complete and utter contempt for the technology of that device. I just couldn't figure out why it was any better than a Walk-man. But there were people on the ship I trusted who looked at me like I had ten heads--saying "Captain, just buy one and you'll figure it out." So I did. And the impact was instant. Holy moly--every single song I own at my fingertips! I can listen to music that I LIKE ALL THE TIME! I can download ONLY THE SONGS I LIKE OFF OF CRAPPY ALBUMS. The freedom, the choice, the individualism--THIS was a devise for a moderately libertarian conservative.

The Kindle was another such story of technology adoption. My Wall Street guy--Greg--got one some time ago and raved about it. I couldn't understand why. After all, I can read the Post and the NYT online on my laptop--why spend $450 to get this little device that lets me SUBSCRIBE to things I read for free on the web? Plus, all it does is let you read things. It isn't a phone. It isn't a PC. It's only black and white. There were so many questions--so, so many questions. But more and more people I respect seemed to be buying them and getting a great deal of utility from them. It seemed to me about the only people who would get anything out of one of these is someone with a long train or bus commute each day. But I remained open-minded.

So then Apple put out its unfortunately named "iPad", essentially a tablet PC with some optimization for reading. It looks like a big iPhone--which for me was a strike against it from the start--as I've always thought iPhone's LOOK cheap (even though they appear quite strong). The iPad looks BIG and CHEAP. But--it lets one do other things while one reads--like answer emails or cruise the web, etc.

Over the course of the last two weeks or so, I've been weighing the following decisions. 1) Would I derive sufficient utility from an "e-reader" to justify the investment and 2) if so, which device?

I answered the second question for myself first--the Kindle seemed to me to be the better answer. First there were the questions of taste--I simply dislike the way the iPad looks (see above). Secondly, those who owned the Kindle raved about its display--without backlighting, it is visible in bright sunlight and it is easy on the eyes. There are several Kindles--a big one and a small one, and it seemed to me that the big one was for me (though again, it is still only the size of a magazine). I decided that I would buy a Kindle in a few months, after the iPad cut sufficiently into its market share for Amazon to lower the price.

The first question then, was answered for me--utility was no longer an issue, as it was presented as a gift. I will tell you, it was a complete surprise and the reaction I had to it was probably the most excited I've been about a present since I was a kid.

So now, onto the device itself. The Kitten had already been playing with it during the week (she and the Kittens were quite excited to give it to me) and she subscribed to the Washington Post, the New York Times AND The Conservative Wahoo Blog (which any of you with Kindles can do too!). I read both the Times and the Post--and I must say, the experience was superb. Here's why:
1. The quality of the display is superb.
2. I could quickly page through the stories I didn't want to read.
3. No ads
4. None of the physicality of page turning--normally not a problem, but I realized the benefits this provide when I thought of the time I had on Thursday reading newspapers on the Southwest flight I was taking--being careful not to noodge the guy next to me as I went from page to page.
5. No email, no web. When I read on the computer, I'm far less disciplined than I should be. If I hear the little email alarm, I'll check to see what it was.
6. It returned the joy of reading the paper in bed to me. We live in the country, at the end of a long farm lane---if I wanted to subscribe to a "paper", I'd get to walk down the lane every morning to pick a paper out of a plastic tube. Here, it is sitting there waiting electronically for me every morning.

This is simply a device to enable the joy of reading--it is NOT a device to "connect" you to the world around you. In fact, I think that is its charm--and the attraction to me. I love reading a book or magazine--the focus it demands. Reading on a computer offers far too many opportunities for distraction and mischief.

So--if you are considering an "e-reader", consider this a full endorsement of the Kindle DX.

10 comments:

Mark Gorenflo said...

You will be happy to know that the Onion Farmer is an early adopter of the Kindle.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Delirious.

"The Hammer" said...

iPhones look cheap? What are you smoking. I've had an iPhone for over a year and sweet thang for two, and it's the coolest device ever made. It's not a phone, it's a computer/internet/entertainment center with a phone attached. My sister has a Blackberry and some of my buds have smartphones and they all go apeshit when they see what the iPhone can do.
I admit I'm a big Mac guy. I love the company. They're everything an American company should be; innovative, cutting edge cool and profitable. Since Jobs came back to Apple their market cap has gone for 1-2 billion to 230 billion. In that same time frame, Microsoft has gone from over 500 billion to just shy of 300 billion. Bill Gates and those Washington state blackshirts are getting their nerdie little heads handed to them. And even though the iPad is being slagged by the likes of people like you, I think it's gonna take over the tablet market just about instantly and probably kill laptops as well. You heard it here first.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Ok Hammer--I think i said they LOOK cheap--not that they ARE cheap, or that they LACK functionality. I think they are phenomenal pieces of technology. What I was describing was a general feeling, not a discussion of technology or functionality.

pm said...

I received a Kindle DX for Christmas. I'm a huge fan. Newspaper delivery beamed instantly is really amazing. Soon you'll discover that there are many promotions to download books for free. This is how I got into Noel Hynd's page turners. lastly, you'll find it great for reading PDFs. If you're on a plane, it's much more practical to read electronic docs on a Kindle (2-sec turn off and turn on) than opening up a clunky computer (even a netbook). Enjoy! You have a very thoughtful gift giver!

"The Hammer" said...

What are you some split-tail who looks at everything emotionally? Look Pal, UVA cheerleaders look dumb and cheap but they know how to do the shimmie shimmie sham sham like pros. Sorry, bad example.

Here's the thing. Jobs is a neurotic, mad genius. And just like the old Apple commercial says, the square pegs in the round holes are the ones that change things. Now that looks like a nice device you have there. I've heard a lot about it. But mark my words, if there's a market for tablet computers Apple will own it in a year.

Capitolism said...

I have the first generation of the Kindle -- a hand-me-down when my mom decided she didn't want it. I love it. It's simple, easy to use, and I like having the ability to read my books on my iPhone, in a pinch, too.

Anonymous said...

With all this new great cheap technology, how come domestic hearing aids are still cost thousands of dollars and are made overseas with child labor?

Hardy Heering said...

What?

Tom de Plume said...

Domestic hearing aids made overseas? Wouldn't that make them imported?

Made with child labor yet retail for thousands?

Sounds to me anon that you should quit your bitchin' and buy stock in the hearing aid companies.

Newer Post Older Post Home