Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Guantanamo Trial Ends, Mixed Results

Mr. Hamdan was found guilty of supporting terrorism, but not guilty of conspiracy to commit terrorism. The conspiracy charge was always going to be tough to prove, but the supporting terrorism charge did not appear to lack evidence.

I have no expertise in military justice, save in the kind I once got to dispense as the Captain of a ship (Captain's Mast we called it, and it was sometimes a HOOT!). I have often heard the saying about military justice that if you are guilty of a crime, it's better to be tried as a civilian; but if you are innocent, it is better to be tried in military courts. Don't know why, but this is what I've heard.

The Hamdan case is going to be a huge issue for civil libertarians and folks who have not yet awakened to the fact that the war on terror is NOT best fought as a law enforcement issue. This tribunal will in all likelihood be continuously scrutinized, and I would not be surprised to find its proceedings at some point before the Supreme Court.

But from what I can tell, this was a professionally administered dose of military justice. Hamdan's been in prison for years already, and I'd be surprised of the sentencing didn't take that into consideration. I subsequent tribunals are conducted in a similarly grave and professional manner, and I salute all who are involved in bringing justice to the Guantanamo detainees.

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home