Saturday, August 1, 2009

Men, Women, and Air Conditioning

Very interesting story here, one that hits close to home. It seems that--surprise, surprise--women are less tolerant of cold, and the preference difference plays itself out in thermostat wars during the summertime.

In my relationship with the beautiful, wise and tolerant Kitten, this issue is a serious, serious bone of contention. You see, the Kitten's house in Easton is not air conditioned. At all. We've got some window units that get thrown in when I'm at wits end, but by and large, I spend a good bit of the time that I'm there in the summer just sweating my--well you know the rest.

We're planning a major renovation of the house--new kitchen, new sun porch, new first floor master bedroom, lots of little things--but if she had it her way, there would be no air conditioning installed. She didn't have it growing up, and she doesn't see any need for it now. No amount of logic, argument, cajoling, will wear her down. Basically, she thinks a need for air conditioning is s sissified character flaw of "Western Shore" people, and that all it does is make people want to stay indoors in the summer and do nothing.

And so, I find myself sneaking off to the Arlington apartment a bit more in the summer....a place where the thermostat's at 70 year round, and a 56 inch television awaits my starry gaze. No one questions my manhood there; no one thinks air conditioning is for sissies.

And so, we are planning to put A/C into the house in Easton--it's just coming out of my pocket. Seems like a small price to pay to finally bring that house into the 21st century. As for when I'll actually be able to turn it on, I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

Mudge said...

just tell kitten you're not turning on the ac because the house is hot or because you are a western shore wuss, tell her that just seeing her looking so incredibly beautiful makes your blood pressure and body temp rise above normal and she'll either have to take care of that or allow you to have the ac on. i'm guessing you'll get control of the ac 99 times out of 100.

Dan said...

I would forego the AC in hopes of shedding a couple of more pounds.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Dan, you are a cruel man.

Goldwater's Ghost said...

I was unaware your compound lacked central air. Perhaps we ought to postpone our visit until October...

Unknown said...

Using ac in the right place only can make your room environment comfortable. You can always have different options or use portable or movable ac.

AC units

Anonymous said...

Your article was quite intriguing and the information quite useful. Will check your site often to see other great posts you make! Regardsair conditioning washington dc

Sebastian said...

That would be my major major problem if their would be no air conditioning unit at home. I can't concentrate on the things I'm doing if their is no a/c on. For me having this is very important and has the biggest part of my life.

Unknown said...

Human beings have a surprising variation in their comfortable temperature ranges. When I am at work, feeling so cold that I can't think straight, my manager often swings by and starts asking people, "Is it hot in here?" Because of these differences between people, the school is never going to be able to climate-control the rooms to an ideal learning temperature.
heating and air conditioning san antonio

Newer Post Older Post Home