Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Fish

Please note the appearance on the masthead of the new symbol of the CW. I've also added the following explanation on the right side of the page. Many thanks to talented Graphic Artist Malachy Egan for working to capture exactly what I wanted.

The Fish: The fish is a "coat of arms" for the blog, symbolizing three formative influences in the life of the blog founder. The first is his experience at the University of Virginia--symbolized most importantly by the fish itself, or a caricature of a "Wahoo", the fish we have acquired as an informal nickname. Additionally there is the sword, the sword of a Cavalier. It is not wielded in a threatening manner, as this is a civil blog. But it is there, should it be needed. Secondly, there is the influence of 21 years in the Navy--symbolized by the anchor on the Wahoo's fin (and again, the sword) . Finally, there is the bowler, tuxedo, and monocle, symbols of a refined, intellectual conservatism, or what I seek to encourage here.

16 comments:

"The Hammer" said...

Why not have him hold a pint of Guinness and a trowel to symbolize your Irish-Catholic heritage?

Acanthocybium Solandri cum Pleuronectidae said...

Trivia Note of the Day:

Say "blog founder" ten times, fast, and you'll likely get a fish different and considerably flatter than a wahoo.

Goldwater's Ghost said...

I'd be proud to wear it on a baseball hat or tee-shirt.

Unknown said...

Name the Fish contest anyone...and where is his other arm (Fin)

Mudge said...

You have nary a wisp of testosterone if you fail to have it tatooed upon your flesh.

Anonymous said...

THAT will demonstrate refined, intellectual conservatism.

BigFred said...

I'm with Mudge.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

I believe another tattoo and the Kitten would throw me out.

BigFred said...

Nancy Pants.

Anonymous said...

I think Nancy Pants is a horrible name for the fish.

moondog said...

original, clever, pretentious and ultimately appropriate

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Perfectly said, Moondog.

"The Hammer" said...

Moondog's comment sounded like a mild insult CW. Were you being facetious? Gee sorry I forgot, you went to UVA. I'll rephrase. Were you just jerking the guy around?

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Not at all, Hammer. I think he got it right. Whether it was insulting or not I suppose must reside in the eye of the beholder. But I took no offense.

moondog said...

Bryan and I are ex-Navy brothers - if we chafed at mild insults, we wouldn't be friends! In any case, it was just a playful poke. The fish rocks.

Medieval Shield said...

Wao its so good and informative post. thanks for sharing us.

Newer Post Older Post Home