Sunday, September 21, 2008

Krauthammer Makes the Bush as Truman Case

Charles Krauthammer got an hour or so of President Bush's time last week, and he wrote a bit about the man he found. Most CW readers know that I have been pretty straightforward about how I believe history will eventually treat President Bush, once history is written by thoughtful academics and scholars, rather than by hyperventilating, in-the-tank-to-the-Democrats reporters.

Because those scholars will almost certainly be left of center, I don't imagine President Bush's stock will rise to Lincolnesque proportions...but I do think they'll take a much more favorable view of his two terms (especially the second) than the Press does.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't disagree more... Bush II's decision to invade Iraq will go down in history as one of the worst strategic mistakes in US history – regardless of the tactical success and possible strategic effect of the surge. And, like you, we will both watch the writing of history and determine how he is judged.

Most would agree that Mr. Woodward delivered part I (actually part IV) last week. However, depending on what side of the political aisle you favor will color how you interpret the book and its judgment of Bush I. Both sides will claim that the book supports/reinforces their position. I agree -- both cases will be bolstered. Like yours, mine was and I read the entire book... Joe H

Anonymous said...

You read an ENTIRE book?

You must be one of them college boys.

Anonymous said...

Just as many debate the leadership of George Bush, many also questioned the abilities of Nicholas II in the early part of the 20th century.

Replacing George II with Barack Obama would be just as dangerous as replacing the Czar with V.I. Lenin.

Newer Post Older Post Home