Thursday, September 3, 2009

Football could be very very good to you

Interesting story here about why football coaches tend to be Republicans. Lou Holtz opines that in football "you aren't entitled to anything. You don't inherit anything. You get what you earn—your position on the team, you're held accountable for your actions. You understand that your decisions affect other people on that team…There's winners, there's losers, and there's competitiveness." Bobby Bowden offers that "in coaching, you've got to have more discipline and you've got to be more strict and just conservative, I think. It fits with the Republicans."


An interesting description of party philosophy akin to the Mommy-Daddy party parallel that CW wrote about a year ago. And the perfect (and shameless) segue into recruiting folks into my suicide football pool. I'm guessing most of CW's readers are college football fans, but for the pro football fans out there, each year I run a Survivor-style pool. All you have to do is pick the winner of ONE game each week (but once you pick a team you can't pick them again). And you keep picking until you lose-losers go into a consolation bracket, but the last man standing walks away with all the marbles. (Last year's winner's pot was $2500, consolation winner $650). Buy-in is $50.00. And all you have to do is pick ONE winner a week! Nothing could be simpler! If you're interested, let me know.

7 comments:

"The Hammer" said...

I'm damn sure interested. I love drinking and gambling and going to "gentlemen's clubs" and things like that. I'm in. Where should I send the money (I know there's at least 50 bucks in my kid's piggy bank).

Goldwater's Ghost said...

I never wager on violent, ground acquisition games.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Greg--please pass your email to my brother Tom on FB--and I'll forward on to Sally.

sally said...

CW...you're a prince. Thank you.

"The Hammer" said...

Yeah CW, a prince.

..... said...

Thanks for the offer, but as much as it pains me to say, "the NFL is dead to me." Until recently, it is the one pro sport I allowed myself to continue to watch. Finding out the way the league has treated its retired players over the years and seeing how often the league and ownership and teammates so easily look past criminal, anti-social, and unsportsmanlike conduct, I'm done with it.

"The Hammer" said...

Mr. Thorn, I know just how you feel. I've felt that way since Irsay snuck (that's a word!) out of Baltimore at 2am with my beloved Colts and moved them to Iowa (I think). Johnny U., Raymond Berry, Mike Curtis, Burt Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Tom Matte, Bobby Boyd, Bubba Smith and on and on... BETRAYED by some greedy owner. Now Baltimore has a team named after a drunken druggie poet with raging bi-polar. What a rip-off!

Newer Post Older Post Home