Sunday, September 28, 2008

On the Red Carpet Club

Well, I finally did it; ponied up the 500 quid for one year's worth of entrance to the United Air Lines' "Red Carpet Club". Faithful readers will recognize that I have posted from RCC's before, but then those times were always on the $50 "Daily Pass". Thinking I would make at least a dozen coast to coast trips this year, and my airline of choice seems to be United, I figured a minimum of 24 opportunities to luxuriate would present themselves.

Given an approximate length of time of 90 minutes during each opportunity, this breaks down to a rate of $13.88 an hour...certainly worthwhile at that rate.

It really is nice here (SFO). Lots of leather, very clubby, big windows looking out upon the workings of a very busy airport. Snacks, soft drinks, coffee, service, smiles, and electrical outlets. I was a bit surprised to find actual manual handvalves to operate the running water in the loo, figuring if anywhere would have automatic fixtures, surely this outpost of comfort would. These days, I find myself more and more defaulting to simply holding my hands under the faucet in public facilities, awaiting the instant gratification of seemingly unbidden water. Occasionally, this does not work. Like today.

But all in all, this is a good move. Though people watching at the airport has come to be one of my favorite past-times, it pales in comparison to time spent on the blog. Blogging is definitely (for me) a pursuit best had in comfort.

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home