Saturday, September 20, 2008

On Shopping at Goodwill

Great article on the increase in sales at the nation's Goodwill stores. It seems that not only the down on their luck crowd shops there, but also a growing number of plain old bargain hunters.

I know a guy who buys all his suits and sportcoats from Goodwill (well, I don't just know him, he's one of my brothers). The look of pure pride on his face as he struts about in a $20 suit is absolutely priceless. I of course, take great pride in busting his stones about it, but he just paid off his 30 year mortgage in 12 years and has already funded his the college educations of his two children.

Maybe I'll start shopping there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We admire your brother very much here in the "Park".

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Indeed; he regales me with literary tales from the "Park" bulletin board. A bit of a rabble-rouser, no?

Anonymous said...

Actually, it was 9 1/2 years.

But it came at a great cost. We are forced to watch teevee in our family room versus a dedicated media room. If company comes, I can’t get a decent workout in because the treadmill is in the guest bedroom. The living room has to double as a library (hard covers for a buck at the Goodwill or Salvation Army) and our dining room is barely large enough to seat 8.

And now we’ll have to put up with the posts proclaiming that “paying off your mortgage is the dumbest move to make”.

But I do have a sharp looking set of sport coats. They can’t take that from me.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

My admiration for you and the manner in which you endure your hardships knows no bounds.

Newer Post Older Post Home