Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bias? Maybe Not. Sloppy? Yes

So here's a story from CNN covering Maine's rejection of same-sex marriage by repealing the law their legislature had passed.

The story states that Mainers voted to "narrowly" repeal the law. The vote was 53%-47%.

I remember that being the same margin of victory of one Barack Hussein Obama in the recent Presidential race--though I don't remember ANYONE at CNN or any other media outlet referring to that margin as "narrow".

Funny, huh?

6 comments:

Mudge said...

"Human Rights Campaign President Joe Solmonese said in a written statement that the vote in Maine made him angry."

An angry gay?

I guess that makes him an oxymoron.

Anonymous said...

Statistics. A great illustration of the beauty of statistics.

Mudge said...

WaPost seems to have read your post:

By Ashley Surdin
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 5, 2009

Gay rights advocates across the country are regrouping after a crushing defeat at the ballot box in Maine, pledging to continue their state-by-state effort to promote marriage equality and to turn their attention to a federal court case in California.

TdP said...

Mudge, I believe the WaPo means "crushing" in that "hurt feelings" sort of way... sensitivity, not statistics.

Mudge said...

Yeah, probably right. I'm always the optimistic one who gets his hopes of fairness in journalism crushed. Yeah, that kind of crushed! I see what you mean. But, I've got my spine, I've got my orange crush. Different crush. Wow, lots of different crushes out there. Which reminds me of my 8th grade French teacher...ooh la la! And David from Waco...oh, not quite. And Limbaugh? No? Such a confusing word. Where is my lithium?

"The Hammer" said...

If gays get the right to marry, is there a future for me and my cat? I've always thought she was hot. I can't believe I'm telling you this, I'm so ashamed. Anybody got the number to Dr. Phil?

Newer Post Older Post Home