Saturday, November 7, 2009

Libertarians vs. Neo-conservatives

Maybe a little wonky for general discussion, but I am fascinated by fissures on the right--not in the way the New York Times or Rachel Maddow is, mind you, but from the standpoint of organization theory and team dynamics.

Libertarians simply can't stand neo-conservatives. Here's a taste of that view from the founder of The Cato Institute, Washington's premier Libertarian think tank. Titled "The GOP Should Dump The Neocons", the main point here is that neo-conservatism's supposed happiness with big government and foreign policy adventurism really rankles Libertarians.

On the other side, I don't find myself seeing Neo-conservatives making a big a fuss over Libertarians. I think most actually admire Libertarianism, though they have come to conclude that Libertarianism is at best an alloying ideology, not sufficient on its own as a governing instrument.

I'm inclined to think that the successful movement will blend some of neo-conservatism's sense of American exceptionalism with some of libertarianism's mistrustful view of government. There's a certain intellectual contradiction at work in libertarianism's focus on individual freedom and liberty stopping at the 12 mile line off this nation's shores--of that I am certain.

3 comments:

Mudge said...

I really like your distinction between libertarianism and conservatism. I find myself drinking from the libertarian well quite frequently...but I always go home to conservatism to dine.

Smoothfur said...

Let the libertarians, conservatives, liberals, and moderates posit their philosophies in the market place of ideas and see what sells to our highly educated and enlightened electorate.

"The Hammer" said...

I have always been about 80% libertarian with the other 20% Reagan Republican. I don't believe in cutting the "fat" from government, I believe in cutting the lean and the fat will go by default. I believe in federalism; it's the only reason we've survived as a country. And now I believe I'll have another cup of coffee and watch Man. United v Chelsea.
By the way, GO Pack! Gave the Twerps a hiding yesterday.

Newer Post Older Post Home