Monday, November 9, 2009

Whatever Obama and Pelosi Do Will Be Good

No, I haven't lost my mind.

Had occasion to spend some time with some more liberal friends this past Sunday. Both are urbane, worldly, graduate school educated folks who have, in the past, exhibited an intellectual curiosity about life that has weighed heavily in my calculus to maintain friendships with them. Yesterday, they demonstrated a complete abdication of civic responsibility that strained credulity and those bonds of friendship. Despite having previously given health care reform as a major reason for supporting President Obama's candidacy, both were surprised to see that the House had passed "something" on health care. Not it had passed, but that there had a been a big debate about it until midnight. "Was it any good?" Naturally, I responded that from where I sat, "no." Then I asked the logical question, "But if health care reform was one of the main reasons for your support, shouldn't you at least be interested in the details?" No answer. They, of course, were dismayed to hear about the Stupak amendment. I said a quick serenity now under my breath and changed the topic so as not to ruin my Sunday.

I have no illusions about the useful idiots*, but this exchange got me to wondering how many of the supposedly informed liberal voters have essentially handed over the reins to their folks and assume that everything is going to work out for the better. Trust, but verify. Maybe because Reagan said it, they've categorically dismissed it as bad advice.

*used by both sides

3 comments:

The Conservative Wahoo said...

B-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-h-h-h-h-

Tom de Plume said...

As you know CW, we have an exchange student living with us this semester and unlike my own children, she actually values my advice and asks for help with her homework.

She had a creative writing excercise in history that dealt with the Tariff of 1816, and was writing a letter from the point of view of a Pennsylvania businessman during the period.

Her essay concluded with:

"That is why I totally trust the politicians, they are the last people on earth who can help us."

I did not suppress the urge to laugh out loud at that final statement.

I don't think she's going to be asking me for my help again.

"The Hammer" said...

Modern American liberalism requires a leap of faith. It has more in common with religion than logic and reason. You're friends cannot bring themselves to question their core believes.
The Greeks explained it best in "The Allegory of the Cave"

Newer Post Older Post Home