I'm stuck at Raleigh Durham airport, trying to get back to Baltimore (hon). I've been in Clayton, NC to celebrate my older (way older) brother's 50th birthday. The navigational computer in the Southwest Aircraft is on the fritz, and they are "swapping" out our aircraft for another (nice that there is one available). So I have a few moments to muse on things associated with airports and flying....
1. Is there anything quite as perfect as a warm Cinnabon Classic? My God, those things are heavenly. Just what you need to get you going for a morning flight....3000 calories and all the sugar a man could want. Yum.
2. Southwest Airlines...gets a big thumbs up from me. For coach class travel, the way they load the planes is the most efficient way I've seen. Not too thrilled with today's delay, but in general, I love this scrappy little (profitable) airline. they also seem to by genuinely happy that you've chosen their airline.
3. Cell phones. Unbelievable enablers of banal conversation (as anyone I call while I'm driving a long way already knows). A delayed plane offers a veritable cornucopia of opportunity to call lots of folks to share one's misfortune. I am particularly happy to be seated next to people in the airport with a long list of folks to inform.
4. What's with people solving their problems aloud? I see this all the time, often the purview of grown women in the company of children. What happens is that the woman encounters a problem, and then begins to audibly solve it, as if the children were suitable interlocutors with something worthwhile to add to the effort. I'm just sayin'.
Well, the swapped plane is here, so I better get going. I've got the Oliver Stone "W" DVD loaded up, and I've had a good time watching it so far. A little heavy on speculative pop psychology, but James Brolin's got the man down pat.
Forgot to add:
5. Rented a PRIUS this weekend (not my choice, it's what they gave me). I've seen the future, and it is real. Hybrid technology (battery and internal combustion) will only get better, and hopefully the cars will begin to be more attractive (simply an ugly car). It has this great little schematic that shows you whether the engine or the electic motor--or both--is running the show. The instant mileage figures are astounding....I was cruising down the highway at 70MPH getting 60 MPG......