Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Petraeus Affair

I like a good conspiracy as much as the next guy...but I don't think the conspiracy theories going around about the Petraeus Affair are on the mark.  I don't think this has anything to do with the Benghazi hearings, and I don't think that there was some conspiracy to hold this news out until after the election.

Still, something simply doesn't add up here.

Let's face it; both Petraeus and his inamorata were married; neither had any real interest in the story becoming public.

If what we hear is true, and the FBI stumbled across this in an investigation of the email habits of Petraeus' sweetie, it still seems to me that this could have been handled quietly and without a firing.

Why couldn't the FBI do a short investigation to determine if there were any national security implications?  If there weren't, then why couldn't Petraeus and Mueller (FBI) go to the President, lay out the story, and let the President make the decision.

Instead, Petraeus offered his resignation.  Even the Chair of the Senate Committee on Intelligence (the great feminist Diane Feinstein) said that an affair wasn't enough to resign over.

There's something else here--either something very salacious, or there was some kind of national security link.


2 comments:

Mudge said...

I don't know if he has to pass a poly or not at his level (clearly the POTUS doesn't or Obama would not even be cleared to access "Official Use Only", but I digress); however, unless Petraeus is a psychopath, this would have come up during the polygraph. That would mean the "vetters" and, therefore the White House, would have already known about this. I think it is absolutely within Hoyle's Rules of Politics (Chicago Edition) to pull this knowledge out as a reminder to keep Petraeus, who was likely ready to take a stand for his honorable agents in the field when Obama threw them under the bus, in line just weeks before a crucial election. I am in no way saying this is the case, but like you, I smell something incredibly piscine here. None of it adds up, unless of course we are using Obama's budget math. I'm just saying that if America ever does get to the bottom of this (or any of the other queries piling up on this Admin) and it turns out to be just that, I'll be as surprised as I was at Clay Aiken's coming out announcement.

"The Hammer" said...

This stinks like grandma's feet.

Newer Post Older Post Home