Saturday, February 27, 2010

Hunting with Mudge




Well the hunt is over and neither human nor canine was in any way hazarded--though we did put a hurtin' on a few birds, pictured in breathless repose on the fence.

We went two rounds on a hunting preserve about twenty minutes from where I live in Easton, the first with John's dog Cappy (pictured) (a superbly trained Spinone) and the second with Hugh's dog Ollie--a beautiful little black lab. It was a big, beautiful farm ringed with woods and a few nice border-making tree-lines.

The Spinone is a pointer--he'd get on the scent of a bird and go into a point beautifully. John or Hugh would walk toward where the bird was, and then it would either start running out of the brush or immediately take to flight. Once he/she was up in the air and a safe line of fire was established, Eric and I were the shooters--depending on which side of the brush/tree line that bird exited.

I missed my first four shots (two birds, using an over/under Baretta). Eric on the other hand, was hot early, hitting five birds in a row. I improved as the day wore on, and eventually bagged five or so myself.

Contrasted with deer hunting from a stand, the hunting we did today is downright social. No one seemed terribly concerned about being loud or spooking the game, though obviously we got serious when one of the dogs got "birdy". The Lab, Ollie, was a bit younger and less experienced than Cappy, and he "flushed" the birds rather than pointed them. This was a problem every now and then, as he'd get a bit in front of us and flush birds at too great a distance for a good shot--though the birds were often downright accommodating and would fly back toward us, as if offering themselves for our shooting/eating pleasure (I've got quite a bit of breasted pheasant and a few chuckers to enjoy...).

Always great to be in Mudge's company, truly one of the most simpatico gentlemen I know. Hugh's a long-time Easton/Eastern Shore resident, and he told wonderful stories of how the area used to be. John put the trip all together and proved an able and amiable host. All in all, a superb day. Thanks to all involved.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reporting both of you to PETA

Doc Milnamo said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your day CW and Mudge. I used to go grouse hunting when I lived in WV. It was always an enjoyable day just to be out with the guys, the dog and a grouse now and then!

"The Hammer" said...

I got the variety bucket from KFC. It was OK.

Mudge said...

Good Lord! Who is that fat SOB beside you, CW?

Reminds me of that episode of Friends when the gang is watching a video of Monica when she possessed considerably more heft. When someone observed that aloud, she said, "Well, they say the camera adds 10 pounds." To which Chandler responded, "Just how many cameras did they use?"

How about you guys scoot over and make a little room for Mudge on BFFFFA? Current weight: 189 (tenths of a stone)

As for the day, thanks for the invite, Bryan. It was a beauftiful day very well spent.

Sofia Loren said...

Nice shots (no pun intended). A Spinone is a lovely dog. I think the Italians make fine wines and dogs, too--Italian greyhounds, Mastifs, Spinones, etc...

Dan said...

Much better than the lame John Kerrey hunting pics from Ohio.

Now the real question: Did you de-feather them or skin them?

Also, sure to be a treat to the kiddos -- make sure you save a claw with the tendon sticking out. When you pull the tendon, the claw will flex. Very cool. Kids love it.

Anonymassive said...

Mudge

CW won't pose with anyone thinner than he is.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

Newer Post Older Post Home