Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Social Conservatives Get Their Way

...and help make the GOP look even less tolerant than normal.  In putting together the official GOP platform ahead of the convention, support for civil unions was rejected in an overwhelming majority vote. 

This is dumb.  While there is nothing wrong with being opposed to gay marriage, (I am myself though I have no beef with civil unions), why is the GOP doing anything to contribute to the image that they're narrow-minded neanderthals?  I didn't say that was a fair or accurate image, but it's the meme on the streets.   I know the evangelical vote is important, but why not just leave the marriage issue out of the official party plank altogether?   Why not just say 'we believe all persons should be treated with dignity and respect'?   Especially after the unspeakable horror in Missouri this week.

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home