Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Death of a Rabbit

John Updike is dead at 76. The man had quite a career--one wag wondered aloud whether he had any "unpublished thoughts".

I have read a great many books but am not well-read. Of Updike's entire corpus I have read two Rabbit books and a few New Yorker essays. Rabbit Angstrom was a great guy, and Updike always seemed to want to write for guys (with the exception presumably of "The Witches of Eastwick").

Any favorite Updike works from our there in cyberland?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My understanding is that Rabbit Angstrom was a normal guy, uneasily aware his best days were behind him--kind of like a Springsteen song. The departure of a generation of American authors is worth noting.

Anonymous said...

"Rabbit Angstrom was a normal guy, uneasily aware his best days were behind him"

Great.

I've just become used to CW calling me a bear, now I gotta put up with being called a rabbit.

Newer Post Older Post Home