Friday, November 16, 2012

Let's Try a Little Darwinism

I read an article last week on JWR and the author made the argument that hey, we're going off the financial cliff one way or the other so we may as well get out of the way. He advised Republicans to do as Obama did so many times as a legislator, just vote present. He said just like the addict or alcoholic, sometimes you have to let them hit rock bottom before they see the error of their ways. And plus, if we try to participate and actually affect policy, with the help of the press we'll just get blamed when things eventually and inevitably go belly up. There's a lot of truth there.

I initially thought this unwise advise. I've never been a big proponent of taking my toys and going home because that's exactly what I want the other side to do. But the American people (at least half) voted for ever bigger government. Half thought Obama was not the cause of our economic mess, they still blamed George Bush. California voted to raise taxes on itself based on a promise from Jerry Brown that this would absolutely positively be the last time oh please please please, just one more time! Clearly our view is not popular.

So what's the problem, are folks just stupid or what? Well the answer is yes they are stupid, and ignorant, and demanding and all kinds of unpleasant things. But what they aren't is inconvenienced. So far they haven't been made to pay for the consequences of their actions. The checks aren't bouncing.

Therefore I say what I said ten days ago in a fit of rage, but this time a little more thoughtfully. Let's just get out of the way. Let the Democrats run the economy. If they want tax hikes don't stand in their way, after all, half voted for Obama. If they want to increase social spending, fine. If they want a second stimulus (900 billion wasn't nearly enough!) then let 'em have at it. But let the American people know that although we don't agree we will not be obstructionists.  However, we will accept no blame for the outcome because that's what elections are for. And as painful as I'm sure it will be, just keep in mind your greatest asset isn't your house or 401K, your greatest asset is you and your loved ones, and the cream always rises to the top. The producers will survive, the dependents for the most part won't. But the ones that do will get the education of a lifetime and won't be voting for an Obama anytime soon.

3 comments:

Tom de Plume said...

My employer is food enough to provide us with a deferred compensation option. Due to my ascetic lifestyle, I should be able to live on much less than I earn so I plan on taking advantage of the program this year. My tax savings will be significant. Time to starve the beast(s).

Mudge said...

Hey Hammer, how did you get a picture of the woman at the DMV office down the road from me?

Anonymous said...

That is the most "Leaning Tower of Middle Finger Pisa" I have ever seen.

Newer Post Older Post Home