Friday, November 9, 2012

The Fox News Obsession

I realize a small portion of readers of this blog will read the title of this piece and think "ah, yes.  CW's going to talk about the obsession that Fox News has with ......".  They would however, be incorrect.

This is a piece about the left's obsession with Fox News.  Here's how it plays out.  I have a group of friends--carefully managed and cultivated--who are left of center.  I follow them on Facebook, and they appear to follow me.  I say "appear", because Facebook (thankfully) allows you to meter the exposure one has to the rantings of one's Friends.  I would be shocked if most of the folks with whom I am friendly in the real world have not activated filters against my mumblings. 

The thing about these folks is their obsession with Fox News.  Any opportunity to criticize FNC, any opportunity to make light of something said or done there (Karl Rove's meltdown election night being the latest example), and any opportunity to tie FNC to the most extreme lunacy on the right--is gleefully taken.  These are very smart people, in the main.  I mean VERY smart.  Yet they fail to see the irony (I hope I'm using irony correction--you get what I mean.  These folks are so smart that they will correct me if I am not) in their own actions. 

You see, it is the very existence of a singular target--Fox News--that enables their ranting.  Fox News sticks out--not because it is right of center--which it is--but because EVERY OTHER MAJOR TELEVISION MEDIA OUTLET is left of center.  Every single one.  Luke 6:42 spoke of this 2000 years ago..."Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye."

The hypocrisy of these folks is simply hard to believe.  They subsist from a steady diet of lefty news/information/entertainment without questioning it, yet take to their sedan chairs with the vapors at the existence of a media source that is incongruous with their tastes. 

President Obama won this election fair and square--his smart guys were better than our smart guys.  But the aid and comfort rendered his re-election effort by the Bought and Paid For Media was obvious and unrelenting.  That one major media outlet was on the job is something good about our modern world.  Something has to challenge the government's propaganda ministry.

6 comments:

"The Hammer" said...

The great playwright Tennessee Williams (or was it Tennessee Tuxedo?) said the only thing worse than a liar is a liar and a hypocrite.
You need to choose your friends more wisely.

Tom de Plume said...

It is cute when those lefty friends patronize you though.

Mudge said...

It's not irony. It's hysteria.

It's not sedan chair (unless you meant they go out to their cars and sit in them), it's a salon chair. Not to be confused with saloon chair which, in the UK, would be a sedan chair.

As for being REALLY smart? You've met some of my friends on the Eastern Shore, who your "smart friends" would think to be a bunch of dumb country bumkins. I have no doubt that those bumkins will survive a collapsed economy far better than those really smart people, certainly better than I but for their generosity. Anyway, they use irony when they say, "You work up (in Northern VA) where all the smart people live."

Tom de Plume said...

Mudge

I've been loving some of the pieces I've been reading about some of those "smart" types up in Brooklyn who lined up at Whole Foods to get their organic potato chips before Sandy hit yet were too friggin stupid to realize they needed to visit a hardware story to pick up a quality flashlight.

John said...

One of first posts my sister made on facebook after Obama's re-election was "Take that Fox News!"

I really couldn't believe it.

Mudge said...

TdP - solar-powered flashlights I hope. I mean, we can't be too careful abt our carbon footprints these days. After all, that's what caused this bizarre atmospheric disturbance, I believe they're calling it "hurricane," in the first place. That's what I read from Messrs Gore and Bloomberg anyway. Let's hope mankind never sees another one of those hurricane things now that His Holiness has been re-elected.

Newer Post Older Post Home