Monday, November 16, 2009

A Long Time Ago...

Some on this space have recently expressed a feeling of bittersweet disappointment after a reunion concert of a band of their youth failed to transport them back to a gentler time and place . Last night, I may have found a loophole in the space-time continuum.

I took my nine-year old son to a performance of Star Wars In Concert at the Wachovia Centre in Philadelphia. The show consists of a full orchestra (the Royal Philharmonic) performing John Williams' original compositions from all six movies in front of a three-story high definition movie screen. Anthony Daniels, the actor who portrayed C3PO for all six films, appears live and provides a narrative of the saga.

John Williams has composed music for some of the most successful films of all time; and if you have a chance to see this concert (it's touring), you'll understand and appreciate his contribution to these films even more.

I was nine myself when the original Star Wars was released. And for a few hours at least, both nine-year olds were transfixed and transported to a galaxy far, far away...

4 comments:

Franz Solo said...

Was Obama there, bowing to the Emperor?

"The Hammer" said...

Thanks. We went to Golden Corral.

Goldwater's Ghost said...

C'mon, he was just following protocol...

Protocol that 14 other heads of state failed to follow.

Mudge said...

Never was that big a Star Wars fan. Princess Leia was almost enough to hold my attention but Luke was just a tad, well, he just didn't seem to fit the save-the-universe kind of guy...even with the Force. However, I have grown and my tastes have refined during this aging process and your post caused me to relook my youthful opinions. After a quick Google search, I believe I am now a Star Wars convert. In fact, I'm now an all out fan!

http://constitutionclub.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/the-infidel-babe-of-the-day-stormtrooper-edition/

Newer Post Older Post Home