Sunday, January 31, 2010

White Men Suck...In 3-D!

I finally succumbed to the hype and took in Avatar this afternoon with Mrs. Goldwater. The movie is visually stunning, setting the bar for movie special effects much the way The Matrix did ten years ago. But I could have done with a little less of James Cameron's heavy handedness. There's something in this movie for every white, self-loathing American apologist - veiled references to the Trail of Tears, the Mai Lai Massacre and even the invasion of Iraq. There's no escaping the message in Avatar - white men suck.

I think next time I'll pick the movie.

5 comments:

Mudge said...

Finally succumbed describes what it would take for me to go see it too. I don't like Cameron and I don't like blue-green characters with dog noses. And I especially don't like Hollywood proselytizing. I'll be adding Avatar to the list of movies to watch only under extreme physical duress: like Brokeback Mountain. Thanks for the confirmation of my initial suspicions.

Dan said...

Coming to the rescue (of the Avatar cast, anyways). Sigourney Weaver, Michelle Rodriguez (hot helicopter pilot), et al, came to my Soldier's PATRIOT site on Friday for what was to be a short "grip and grin" session -- 30 minutes max. They ended up staying the entire day and into the evening. They did a private screening of the movie, took hundreds of photos with the Troopers, handed out autographs. "No Soldier Left Behind," if you will.
Very down to earth, unpretentious, and a breath of fresh air from what was expected (probably because publicists weren't around). James Cameron was not to be seen.

Goldwater's Ghost said...

I will say that Cameron does know how to make cool military toys. I hope he was granted access to some Pentegon prototypes, or some of the merchants of death in the audience (*cough*CW*cough) were taking notes.

Oh, and Mudge, once you get past the manlove, Brokeback is a decent movie (if only for Anne Hathaway's boobies).

Mrs. GG said...

Hmmmm.... GG. Surprised you didn't mention the lead lady's tush..in 3D, nonetheless. Have to admit, I liked the movie better when it was called "Pocahontas".

"The Hammer" said...

Liked the Trailer, looks like a good Netflix movie.

Newer Post Older Post Home