Saturday, July 5, 2008

DC Schools

I've always seen the DC schools chief as a dream job, a chance to break a lot of china while doing some important work. Current DC Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee is doing quite a bit of that. She has incredible topcover from Mayor Fenty, an amazing amount of energy, and a take-no-prisoners demeanor that I think the job requires.

There are some incredibly entrenched interests there who oppose her, but I remain hopeful Ms. Rhee can succeed. The DC school system is a disgrace, and those who wish to pour more money into education need only look at the poor return on investment the nation's capital gets on the second highest per student spending in the country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Both Rhee and Fenty are incredibly bright spots in a rather shameful record of elected and appointed officials in our nation's capitol. Every time I see a DC plate emblazoned with "Taxation without Representation" I have to ask myself "do I really want my national votes diluted with votes of the same voters who repeatedly elect, and worse yet, revere, Marion Barry?" Finally, with Fenty, Washingtonians may have shown they are serious about their votes. Of course, I would be the first to say there should be no such qualfication for voting, but it does defy rationale thought to imagine why anyone who is not himself hyped on drugs or personally counting on a sham government job would EVER waste something so precious as a vote on that criminal buffoon.

SamShapiro said...

And where did the former DC Superintendent wind up? Jon Corizine, NJ Governor, appoints Dr. Clifford Janey to head up the Newark school system here in NJ. Got to love NJ.

Anonymous said...

No comment about Jesse Helms' passing???

Newer Post Older Post Home