Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We're Sorry About Slavery; Can We Move On Now?

It appears as if the House of Representatives, in their capacity of representing us, have apologized for the institution of slavery. To whom their apology is made, I find myself without answer, as anyone actually living at the time of emancipation is no longer with us.

On whose behalf they are apologizing is an interesting question also, as my relatives hadn't yet made it over from Europe when the Civil War ended.

But I am willing to accept that as a gesture, this has symbolic meaning to some Americans, and I am genuinely happy that those who sought such an apology have now received it. But can we move along to other subjects now?

A man is running for President who is half-black. Institutionalized racism is a thing of the past (if anything, the racial disparity in the "housing crisis" would point to the lending world's falling all over themselves to lend to minorities). Ain't no way in hell reparations are going to be paid, so what do you say we just move on as a society, huh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is my 40 acres and a mule?

The Conservative Wahoo said...

My man! Welcome to the site...don't be a stranger.

I got your 40 acres and a mule; just take care of the inconvenient fact that you weren't a slave!

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Smoothfur said...

Why did you bring up the fact that Senator Obama is a black man?

I noticed that Senator Obama is black, but I do not reject him for his color, I reject him for his inexperience.

I noticed that Senator Obama is black, but I do not reject him for his color, I reject him for his demonstrated poor judgment.

I noticed that Senator Obama is black, but I do not reject him for his color, I reject him for his poor choice in associates.

I noticed that Senator Obama is black, but I do not reject him for his color, I reject him for his inability to have the courage of his convictions.

Who knew that the "change you can believe in" was the fact that Senator Obama will change his mind for political expediency's sake at the drop of a hat?

Newer Post Older Post Home