Friday, July 4, 2008

The Declaration of Independence

I read recently where Bill Kristol of The Weekly Standard attends a cookout each July 4th at which the host reads aloud the Declaration of Independence. Thinking this a wonderful idea, I took to my computer this morning to read this document anew. I highly recommend taking the time to read this remarkable piece of political thought. If you're reading this blog regularly (thank you!), your knowledge of history surely provides you with the understanding that the 13 original colonies fought hard prior to the Declaration to remain subjects of the Crown. Reading over the bill of indictment that makes up the largest part of the document, one cannot help but be reminded of the abidingly conservative nature of that revolution. It was a revolution undertaken to preserve rights already possessed. Whenever you hear George Washington compared to some tinhorn, left-wing revolutionary dedicated to the overthrow of an established order, remember that George Washington started out simply wanting the established order to be enforced. Happy Fourth of July, fellow citizens.


2 comments:

Doc Milnamo said...

My local newspaper, The News and Observer of Raleigh, NC has irked me once again. In the scheme of things, I am probably picking nits and I'm heading off into curmudgeon-land with our beloved Conservative Wahoo (OK, I'm already there).

Here goes: in the July 4 issue, the first 10 amendments to the Constitution of the United States - of course known as the Bill of Rights - were printed on the editorial page. The N & O does this every year. It is a nice touch. But, please publish the Declaration of Independence instead. We declared our independence from England at this time and produced a document containing our intentions and the indictment against the king. Jefferson and company didn't publish the Bill of Rights in July of 1776, they weren't introduced for another 15 years.

I'm guessing the N&O's reason for publishing the Bill of Rights on July 4 every year is to remind us some of the freedoms/rights we fought for. Fine, but come on, I feel the Declaration of Independence is a better fit.

Doc

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Doc, I think the RNO's printing of the Bill of Rights on the 4th of July is misplaced. These two things (birth of a nation, Bill of Rights) are connected, but only partially so. Seems self-serving of me. They really only ought to print the first amendment and be done with it, as that's the only one they are really concerned with.

Newer Post Older Post Home