Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Oprah-fication" of Politics Rolls On

It seems as though Senator Obama's famous couch denizen supporter has had an impact on his campaign. The Senator's volunteers have taken to gushing their own personal stories on the campaign trail, in an effort to "connect" with others with similar stories. This kind of politics makes me a bit queasy, reducing great issues to "what's in it for me?" or "how has it impacted me?" What makes me even more queasy though, is that this kind of politics works in America.

2 comments:

Goldwater's Ghost said...

I suspect this tactic has been employed by his disciples largely to fill the awkward pause in conversation when pressed for more substance behind the "because he's for change" or "because he brings hope" mantra.

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Yes; the vapidity of both candidate and volunteer seem showcased with this approach.

Newer Post Older Post Home