Saturday, July 26, 2008

Obama and the Military Hospital

I don't know what to think about this one, and I urge readers to keep their powder dry. It appears Senator Obama's campaign was warned off from a visit to recovering service members in Germany, as the DoD wanted to ensure that the service members did not become part of a political show.

Ok, I can certainly believe that this was the case. I don't however, believe that the Senator would have been in any way prohibited from making a private visit without campaign staff and reporters. From the perspective of the campaign, I think this would have been even a better idea than a fully covered visit, as it would have shown the Senator in a more sedate, serious and contemplative light.

Either way, Obama made a mistake here, and a junior varsity one at that.

1 comment:

Dan said...

If the Pentagon "raised concerns" about the visit (as the Obama camp states), I would love to see the email, voice-mail, or other definitive Pentagon position provided to the Obama campaign folks. Instead, I believe the Obama camp has portrayed the Pentagon policy of no political activity into a convenient excuse to avoid the visit.

Newer Post Older Post Home