Friday, June 19, 2009

At The Automobile Service Center

Here I am for my every 7500 mile visit to the Acura Dealer to have my 9 year-old 150K mile 3.5RL serviced. A few thoughts....

1. Though I realize writing this will probably jinx me, I'm a believer in regular service. I spend a good bit of time fantasizing about what it is that will replace this car, but she's comfortable, reliable and in relatively good shape. I like to think the regular service contributed to this.
2. There are very few places on earth I feel more uncomfortable than an auto service center. You could drop me into a neurosurgery theater and I'd feel like I had more to offer than I do in a garage. They could walk into the posh waiting lounge and tell me that my car had to have its appendix removed and I'd nod knowingly.
3. My trips to the Acura dealer are always scheduled for the morning, and as I sit in the Gucci waiting area, the banality of morning television drones on in the background. We'll likely move straight from "Today" to "Regis and Cathy Lee". There are five men sitting in the waiting area and no women...it's usually like this. The TV channel selection is clearly made by the receptionist/cashier ladies. The "Jonas Brothers" are on Today this morning, and I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

4 comments:

bbauer said...

Snarky.

PK said...

Gracious, CW. Kathy Lee (note the "K"!) parted company with Regis YEARS ago. It's "Live with Regis and Kelly" now. I'm HORRIFIED at how out of touch with morning banality you are! What have you been doing with your life? :)

The Conservative Wahoo said...

Whoops!

Michael "that's what she said" Scott said...

"I'm a believer in regular service. I spend a good bit of time fantasizing about what it is that will replace this car, but she's comfortable, reliable and in relatively good shape. I like to think the regular service contributed to this."

Thank you for including the words "this car" in the above para. I would have been confused if you had just said "her". To that end, I doubt many men would disagree with your affinity for "regular service".

Newer Post Older Post Home