Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Politics, Organization, "Scaling-Up"

In a post from earlier today, I wrote of hell freezing over as I lauded a Dana Milbank column. Well, today is one of those days, as I also have to tip my hat to Kathleen Parker, who appears generally to be the right of center answer to Maureen Dowd, and I don't mean that nicely.

In her column today, Parker dissects Sarah Palin's recent "scheduling" problems and kerfuffles with the national Republican Party. As we saw in November, Palin's just not ready for prime time, and much of that flows from the simple fact that she's the Governor of a small state whose national prominence is not supported by a rigorous, disciplined support structure back home in Anchorage. Whatever attraction she may hold to a slice of the electorate may ultimately come to be undone by the dual evils of her own traits and the enabling support structure that her staff has more than likely become. The simple truth is that Palin cannot "scale up" until she overcomes her own bad habits and presides over an organization that achieves ruthless efficiency....then and only then will her personality and message resonate.

I've worked very close to a few big cheeses in my day, and no matter how smooth and on the ball they look in public, there are always huge warts when one gets up close. A thorough and efficient staff helps smooth over those warts, but it does not remove them. If Palin wants to play ball on the national stage, she's going to have to develop better habits and turn up the heat on her staff.

6 comments:

Sally said...

I agree she is no way ready for prime time, and I'm a big fan of hers. If she has her eyes on the big prize, I sincerely hope she has someone she listens to that will talk her out of it.

What I find curious, though, is everyone's eagerness to dissect her. Does Kathleen Parker know that Sarah Palin is planning a future run? Or is she just determined to keep the flame of hate alive for this woman? I can't believe the over the top contempt Palin engenders in people. I've never seen anything like it. Have you seen some of the 'ethics' violations (all of which have been dismissed) filed against her in Alaska? Good grief, she had a complaint filed against her because her 7-year-old set up a lemonade stand outside the state capitol. Why is there so much hate for her?

Smoothfur said...

Perhaps the answer is a Palin/Gingrich ticket. Palin for her photogenic popularity and Gingrich for his intellect. :)

bbauer said...

Palin, is that the broad with the 8 kids and the cheating husband?

Ttom said...

I think it's only one kid and a cheating husband.


Ooops, I thought your wrote "Clinton".

It was "broad" that threw me; I thought you were referring to Hillary's ass.

bbauer said...

I just can't believe Palin is still being discussed. I hate to see the party reduced to gimmickry.

Anonymous said...

Palin's looks are a problem. Republican women would be taken more serioulsy if they were as butt ugly as the females in the Democrat party.

Newer Post Older Post Home