Sunday, June 28, 2009

On the Death of Michael Jackson

I would be remiss if I allowed the passing of Mr. Jackson to go by without some kind of comment, so here goes.

I was a teenager when "Off the Wall" came out--which to my memory was his "break-out" solo effort following his time as front-boy of the Jackson Five.

My memory of that album was this: it was the most different, the most electric, the most instantly likable and catchy music I'd ever heard. He then followed it up with "Thriller" which made him the global superstar he became.

If the clock stopped in 1984 for Michael Jackson, I'd have nothing but good things to say about him. But the clock did not stop, and we have before us a 25 year record of at best--weirdness at a professional level, and at worst--criminal pedophilia. From what I've heard, that any Jackson child to grow up "normal" in that Gary, Indiana house would be a trick. But Michael was off the scale weird.

His power and fame were responsible for his not being in prison right now. His death will likely come to be shown as the result of some misused prescription drug. A sad, tragic end for someone who had it all at one point.

No comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home