Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Salinger Awakes to Defend Caulfield

Ninety year old J.D. Salinger has taken a break from his duties as Chief New Hampshire Curmudgeon to issue a lawsuit charging copyright infringement. Apparently, some fellow decided to do a "Holden Caulfield" all grown up book, and JD is none to pleased with it.

As I've said in this blog before, I've read a lot of books, but I am not particularly well read. I only got around to "Catcher in the Rye" about two years ago, and there are a number of classics that an educated American man of nearly 44 summers should long ago have read.

But I am not at all disappointed at having put off "Catcher" as long as I did. It was unremarkable, except for the remarkable distaste I had for its main character. Perhaps this new fellow can put something into JD's boy worth reading.

5 comments:

SamShapiro said...

I thought I was the only one that didn't like it. I always felt like I just didn't get it.

Doc Milnamo said...

I read it in my 30's. It bored me silly. I probably should have read it when I was 14.

Mudge said...

I read Mr Cliff's version. Much better, just as all of his books were for me.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Catcher in the Rye. I remember learning about 'symbolism' in this book--his red hunting hat, little Shirley Beans--and the idea that stories don't always end happily. I loved how in love he was with the 'mucklemouthed' girl next door, just b/cause of all that she was not. The vista into a bygone era of an uperclass, erudite New York was fascinating as well. It seemed like nothing could touch these people, yet everything did...
Got to disagree w/ you on this one Bryan.

..... said...

Read it when I was 21. Probably still too late. I'll take folks word that it is wonderful, but it did not speak to me at all. Does anyone find it interesting that it has never been made into a major motion picture?

Newer Post Older Post Home