Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day...and What I Learned From My Dad

Father's Day seems late to me this year--so much so that I wrote and posted a Father's Day blog last week, only to have Sally quickly remind me that we weren't quite there yet.

I've written a bit about fatherhood here in this blog, which many of you may find odd given my lack of membership in the club (ever hear the expression "those who can't do, teach?"). And while my personal experience as a father is limited to those duties delegated to me by the Kitten (and Jimmy's mom), my credentials to comment upon the subject are in fact quite good, given that I learned about fatherhood from a master--my Dad. So in the spirit of the day, and in warm thanks and love to James A. (Jimmy Wires) McGrath, I'd like to spend a little time on "What I Learned From My Dad". Dad's very much alive, so where I use the past tense, it is only for style.

1. Balance. My Dad led an incredibly balanced life. He started a business from the ground up and built it into a going concern that fed, clothed and housed his own family and those of several other men. He had an active social life, with a huge circle of friends through the country club, his men's club (go Dad!), and the tavern where he ate his lunch. He was a father to six children and managed to be a big part of our very busy little lives. And he loved his wife, as I'll talk about in another entry. Point is, he had a lot of varied interests, and he indulged them all. Where I say I "learned" balance from my Dad--I'm actually fudging it. I watched balance, then failed to implement it in much of my own adult life. The older I grow, the more I admire the way he pulled it off, and the more I try to emulate him.

2. Love of wife. Even in a house of six frantic children, there was never any question of who came first in my Dad's life--his wife, my Mom. As I've said here before, when I asked him years ago how to be a good Dad, he said "love your wife". When I last wrote that, some correspondent wrote in to take issue with that, recounting wonderful walks he used to take with his Dad. I never responded to that entry, but it bothered me because I didn't write "love your wife, ignore your children". What I'm trying to get across here is that what he meant (and the lesson I've taken) is that if a man showers his children with love, affection, understanding and attention--yet fails to love and respect their mother--he will have failed in executing one of his most important jobs as a father. That is, providing an example to the next generation of how a loving couple works.

3. Be a man. Dad's a man's man and always has been. This fact was always on its most grand display on the golf course, which is where I got to see my Dad socialize up close with other men, talk smack with other men, and show deference and respect to older men. I spent countless mid-teen years carrying his golf bag around (for pay, mind you) listening to him and his buddies do their thing. Years later, when I was in a class for officers about to assume command of Navy ships, I remember sitting there one day listening to the chatter and realizing how much of it resembled the golf course banter I'd heard as a teenager. Pure smack talk. Loved it. But I also learned that it is OK to cry from my Dad. I'll never forget the first time I saw it--it was when HIS Dad died. I'd been carrying on manfully (or as manfully as a twelve year old can), but when Dad lost it, so did I. I was so sad, not necessarily for losing a Grandpa, but for my Dad. His tears came from his soul.

4. Face your demons. I led an alcohol fueled college life, then joined the biggest fraternity of them all in the US Navy, where my partying continued unabated. Along the way, I flamed out a marriage to a wonderful woman at least in part due to drinking. When I'd hit bottom and realized that I had to make a change, I went to talk to the guy I knew who had already given up drinking--my Dad. I told him that I wanted--no, I needed to stop drinking. I asked what I needed to do--should I go to AA? Do I need to see a doctor? Should I sign up for rehab? He just looked me in the eye and said, "just stop drinking". Now I realize that such advice might not work for everyone--but I think he knew it was all I needed. Sixteen years later, he was right.

There's a whole lot more, but I think you get the picture. So here's to you, Dad, on your special day! Enjoy it, and thank you.

4 comments:

SamShapiro said...

5. The rules. Never published or spoken but you knew what the rules were.

Doc Milnamo said...

Two comments. First a comment on SamShapiro's post. Ah yes, "The Rules". Still one of the funniest yet serious things I remember from my youth, especially my teenaged driving the car years. Sam's right, The Rules were never enumerated as the Bill of Rights are, but we knew them. To me, the essence of The Rules was just one unspoken rule - Don't Be Stupid. As a teenager, being stupid leads to one doing stupid things like drinking and driving - or just drinking ;-) Being stupid also leads to treating girls badly, racing your car, knocking over rural mailboxes, etc. So not being stupid saved us from a lot of pain. Yes, sometimes I was stupid but really just petite stupid and not mal stupid!

My second comment is on his number 3, Be a Man. As CW knows, I too looped for the OM (and was paid handsomely for my efforts). If I recall, Saturday Tee Time was something like 9:32, 9:37 or 9:42...something in that area. I always looked forward to caddying because it was an absolute hoot. It was through caddying that I realized Pops lead a double life. Yeah, he was a father and husband, but he was also a regular guy with friends. I swear I almost peed my pants every Saturday morning listening to Dad carry on with the likes of Donald Alveraz, Tom "One Beer" Christensen, Kelly "I know what time it is" Kish, Gordon "Buddha" "Wart-Lip" Keenan and countless others. It's where I learnt some of the best jokes ever which I retold to friends the next week.

So, B3 and B4 thank you for the memory lane trip. And Dad, just a plain old all-encompassing Thank You. I Love You.

Dear ol' Dad said...

Dear old Dad is one of the most fortunate fellows I know. A wonderful wife of almost fifty three years and six wonderful children plus fantastic in-laws, what more can God give a man? Oh and yes, nine super grand-children, that's more!

carriersailor said...

Bryan,
A truly great tribute to your Dad.
I liked the way you slipped your Mom in there too. Yes, we must never forget "love" in all its forms.

Love you
Uncle Joe

Newer Post Older Post Home