Monday, January 4, 2010

Redskins Fire Zorn

I follow Pro Football only tepidly, watching it plenty but having no particular team as a favorite. I like to see the Eagles do well, and the Giants, and the Redskins and the Patriots I suppose--but I don't plan my Sundays around football to any extent. Saturdays as you know, are a different story.

And so I post this story on Jim Zorn's firing with some trepidation, as I'm sure that there are a lot of pro football fans who read this blog and who have opinions on this matter. So here goes anyway.

Jim Zorn wasn't ready to be a Pro coach. An inexperienced coach, coupled with a fool of a VP and a bigger fool of an owner, resulted in a team that just couldn't get it done. That's all I'm going to say about Zorn as a coach.

But I've watched Zorn as a consumer of DC area sports propaganda for two years now, and I have come away from the experience thinking that this is a good man, a man who never complained, a man who never laid blame, a man who never brought ANY disrepute to the organization he represented. He just kept trying hard to win.

I think Jim Zorn will be back. I think he needs to go somewhere and be an offensive coordinator--probably college. I think he needs a couple of years of seasoning, then a college head coaching job. Maybe then back to the pros.

I'd like to see this man succeed.

UPDATE: Heard today that Shanahan (likely next Skins coach) has won exactly one playoff game without Elway.

4 comments:

cranky said...

If he wants to come back, he'll need to stay away from college. College head coaches and coordinators usually don't make good head NFL coaches. Take the top 16 coaches ranked by the Dallas Morning News. Tom Coughlin and Jim Caldwell are the only head coaches with college head coaching experience or even coordinator experience.

Zorn will be back after a period of time as a coordinator in the NFL.

Sally said...

Zorn should have walked when they stripped the play-calling from him. And the situation in Washington will never be a good one as long as Daniel Snyder owns that team, unless a head coach is willing to tell him to back off, as Bill Parcells did in Dallas.

And why does the Post find it necessary to mention in this article that one of the gentlemen being considered for the head coaching job is an African American?

cranky said...

Sally, would you walk away from 2.4 million? I certainly wouldn't, let them fire away.

I think the Post is pointing out who ISN'T going to get the job. Do you think the Skins gave the minority coach a little something extra at Christmas just to interview a minority and get it out of the way?

Goldwater's Ghost said...

The Giants? Really?!?

Newer Post Older Post Home