Thursday, November 6, 2008

California and Prop 8

I was pretty surprised to see California pass a constitutional amendment (via plebiscite) restricting marriage to one man and one woman. I read somewhere that marriage laws and amendments are now 30 for 30 on the states that have brought them forward, a real sign of the country's position on this issue.

Many of you know how I feel about gay marriage; I am against it. But I am also against straight marriage. I have a straightforward libertarian position here, which states that government has little interest in regulating marriage. Marriage should be a religious and cultural issue, and contract law should cover the interests of the state. Take marriage out of the legal code and I don't care if you marry your toaster.

Of interest in California was the heavy black turnout (in support of Barack Obama)--which went 70-30 for the amendment. Talk about the law of unintended consequences!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your position.

It concerns me that tax dollars are being spent debating it.

Anonymous said...

CA wasn't total loss - I helped return to Bilbray to Congress as well as support Prop 8

Mudge said...

recommend you retract your "marry your toaster" comment. someone might try to consumate such a marriage resulting in serious bodily injury or death and you could be held liable. leave it in (the comment, that is) at your own risk.

Newer Post Older Post Home